Monday, October 26, 2009

May Peace Prevail on Earth


Two weeks ago I was very fortunate to be asked to build a giant peace dove for my old elementary school, Montessori Center, for their annual United Nations Day observance. The idea started with the Roots and Shoots Project--and initiative lead by Jane Goodall to try and promote the discussion of peace from an early age. The teachers banded together to find local donations for the supplies, and my contribution was the eventual fabrication of the dove and conducting a puppeteering workshop for the graduating sixth graders who would lead the dove through the procession. I was very impressed by their seriousness and dedication--and it is my hope that this little project got a least a few students, teachers, and local business owners thinking that perhaps peace may not be too much farther away than some old sheets and inner-tube ties--so long as we keep thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment